Sunday, October 30, 2011

and A.D.D.

Along with having a gluten intolerance, I also have Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

I was diagnosed with ADD almost 5 years ago. As a kid, I had hyper-concentration, specifically when reading. I could tune out everything and completely focus on my book.

As I got older, I found it harder and harder to stay focused on one task and see it through to the end. I would start one thing, then another and another without ever finishing anything. I was so easily distracted by any little thing (phones ringing, copiers running, email alerts, etc.) I ended up working longer and longer hours just to complete my daily tasks.

Finally I went and got tested and voila, things changed immensely. I was able to complete tasks at work and not be distracted by what was going on around me. I became more efficient and began to work less hours while getting more work done. I couldn't believe how much my life improved.

As a hiker, being able to focus is a mandatory skill set. Keep on trail, watching out for hazards, keeping track of your gear so nothing is left behind...all of it requires paying attention. So what does this means for me? I don't know actually. Hiking doesn't hold the same distractions as an office or home. The demands of it's tasks are condensed to finding water, eating food, making & breaking camp, and moving forward. I think with some prep and pre-planning (and a gear checklist), I'll be able to stay on trail, skirt any hazards, and ensure all my gear moves with me mile after mile.

Do you have ADD? What systems do you use that help you manage with or without medication? I've love to hear what everyone else does to keep their lives on track.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kellie, Happy to see you a part of 2012 PCT class!!

    I live with OCD and Bipolar Disorder and as an avid long distance trekker I can tell you that your 100% dead on with having the ability to focus at all times.

    Rest assured unless your the last one leaving there will be hikers behind you nice enough to pick things up and carry them to the next stage. I left my poles at Scissors Crossing last year and a hiker (Thanks Tripod) behind me carried them 30 miles to Warner Springs. Communication is ok along the trail in that regard.

    The fact your going through all this now is a really good indication you have what it takes to get you and your gear to Monumment 78.

    Good luck - See you on the trail.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan! From the various journals I've read, PCT hikers are skilled in looking out for each other and each other's belongings!

    It's also great knowing that there are others out there with disorders that are successful hikers (thru and otherwise).

    Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete