Saturday, March 3, 2012

Food win!

I'm finding that dehydrating food is more time consuming and a little more stressful than I imagined.

Not only do I have to dehydrate the food, I had to test recipes, rehydrate and taste the foods, and determine if it's something I can eat for months.

The upside is that I'm a repetitive eater. I've been known to eat the same thing for lunch every day for months on end so I'm not worried about that part of the food planning.

So...here are a few "wins" for me:




  • Pumpkin bark - super yummy! It's just pumpkin, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice. I did add silken tofu for protein. Just dump it all in a blender, spread it on the trays and dehydrate until dry.


  • Fruit leather - Oh the drama with this! I tried about 4 different "recipes" before I got this right. I tried adding in some ingredients that I don't normally like, but was hoping the other fruits would cover the taste. Yeah, didn't happen. So I went with what I like. Straw, black, blue, and rasp berries, apple sauce, tofu, and a banana. It tastes amazing and I can really see eating this every day!


  • Rice - the simplest thing ever! I made the rice with salt and pepper, dehydrate and it's SO yummy. Even without anything else on it. I can eat this plain it's that good.


  • Apples - I was dubbed the "The Honeycrisp Lady" by a checker at my local supermarket I bought so many. Pounds and pounds and pounds of them. I sliced them thin, dehydrated them until crisp, and learned the hard way to not test them when they were done. I would try one and eat them ALL. The flavor is amazing and these are going to be my treat on the trail.


Now I just have to dehydrate, dehydrate, and dehydrate some more to ensure I have enough food to last for 5 months!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kellie, I'm glad I found your blog on the PCTA page - pumpkin bark sounds fantastic, and I never would have thought of it on my own. I hope I'll see you on the trail - will you be at KickOff?

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! I will absolutely be at the kickoff. I'm planning to hike from Campo on the 26th and then spend two days at ADZPCTKO. I found the pumpkin bark recipe durning my internet search for dehydrated food. It's super easy. I'll post how I make it shortly. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet - I'm planning to hike into kick-off on the 27th. Look forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete