Monday, May 14, 2012

Angels and Magic

I've talked about Trail Angels and Trail Magic in an earlier post.

Here are the Angels and Magic I've experienced so far...

  • Mt. Laguna - Pine House: This restaurant is usually not open on Mondays & Tuesdays but the wonderful folks here opened up with a menu just for us hikers. It was unexpected and wonderful!
  • Warner Springs Community Center: With the hot spring resort closed, the AWESOME folks of the WSCC set up a small store, gave hikers a place to sleep, access to showers, and made the most delicious burgers (lunch), tri-tip (dinner), and scrambled eggs & potatoes (breakfast) that money could buy. For about $35, a hiker could get all this plus the knowledge that all the money was going to the community. In fact, I read that the CC raised enough money from the hikers that they don't have to do anymore fundraising this year! Go hikers!
  • Chris & Becky: I was hiking into Idyllwild with sore feet and fading energy. I had just started a three mile side trail into town when I met two hikers coming the other direction. I confirmed I was on the right trail (I missed the trail head sign) and after a bit of talking, Chris and Becky offered me a ride into town. They put my pack in their trunk, waived off my apologies for my smell, and drove me directly to Idyllwild Inn. It may seem like such a small thing, but that ride and those few moments with this lovely couple just renewed my energy and made me smile for the rest of the day. Thank you Trail Angels!
  • Random group of hikers on Mt. San Jacinto: I was approaching the turn off to the Fuller Ridge trail head when I came across a group of folks taking a break before heading to the top of San Jacinto. I stopped to check my map and we all got to talking. One gentleman offered me fresh mango and pineapple. At that moment, it was the best tasting fruit in the world! I find that spending even just a bit of time with people talking about the trail just raises my spirit so much, I almost (almost) floated down the trail with renewed energy. Thank you RGoH for your trail magic and wonderful energy! Hike on!
  • Bob: After a long day of hiking 16+ miles in 105 degrees with little shade, rough trails, and angry bees, I came to the first water source in 20 miles. In the near middle of nowhere, the lovely Desert Water Agency installed a drinking fountain. It was the most beautiful site ever! Cold clear water we didn't have to filter OR treat! Yum! Then...it got better. Bob was getting off work and offered to take us (Sparrow, The Barracuda, Taka, and me) the 4 miles to the 10 freeway underpass. Getting to miss 4 miles of sandy, hot trail was just what I needed. I should feel bad about skipping it, but I'm not. So thank you Bob (and Bob's wife for letting him get home late!) for getting us out of the heat and a bit closer to Ziggy and The Bear!
  • Kay & Lake to Lake: When Bob dropped us off at the 10 frwy underpass, we headed for the coolers and sign-in log. What we found was Kay. This Trail Angel (along with the non-present Lake to Lake) brought cold drinks, fresh watermelon, hard-boiled eggs, salad, fried chicken, tortellini salad, and chocolate cake for all the hungry tired hikers passing by. What a treat! We dove into the food with gusto and was soon joined by Style who was just as ecstatic as the rest of us. Overall, 23+ hikers were treated to great food, drink, and company! 
  • Ziggy and The Bear: These Trail Angels are the FIRST Angels to buy their home because of its close location to the PCT. They not only welcome hikers by letting us sleep in their backyard, they provide food, drinks, ICE CREAM!, carpets to sleep on, internet, and overall awesomeness. They go above and beyond to help us and keep us going on the trail. It's an oasis in the desert!
  • Other hikers: PCT hikers are amazing. It's almost ingrained to look out for each other, to help each other when we can. Whether it's bringing cold water out to a hiker coming in on a super hot day, an encouraging word, or a hotel room to share (with a shower!), everyone is looking out for everyone else. This makes the hike even more fulfilling!
Thank you to ALL the Trail Angels I've encountered along the way. I didn't know just how important you all are to the trail and the hiker community. You turn a great hike into an amazing experience.

Happy hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment