Sunday, May 20, 2012

Skipping and Flipping

I had two goals when I started my hike: 1. To complete it and 2. To make it a "no flips, no skips" hike.

Due to my lovely foot infection I had to skip 30 miles. Then, due to extreme heat, I skipped another ~60 miles from Cabazon to Big Bear.

On Tuesday, I'll skip the hot, waterless section that is entirely uphill out of the Cajon Pass and jump to Wrightwood.

I thought I would detest skipping. I thought I could tough it out. But thankfully with age comes wisdom. I know myself really well and I know exactly what heat (temps above 95) does to me.

I know of 1 experienced hiker who suffered from dehydration and another who has had to get off the trail in order to make a full recovery from the same thing.

So, in order to preserve my health, I'm skipping over those sections that would cause me harm and will complete them in October when it's a tad cooler out.

I think this strategy will help me achieve my first goal...to complete the PCT.

Hike safely. Hike on.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, safety WAY more important. Enjoy the next leg of hiking!

    ReplyDelete