Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 1 and change...

It's Saturday now. The plan was to get up early on Thursday and hike the first 20 miles back to camp. The "get up early" part happened, but the hike got delayed until almost noon. Apparently, most people don't like to hike in the rain if they don't have too.

The rain let up just before 11 so Nugio and I packed up the essentials and the folks drove us to the beginning of the PCT (photos to come).

After photos and hugs, we headed out. Stopping for photos, pointing out various sites, and checking the map to quickly became the norm.

We got passes by several folks (usually while stopping to take photos) got to meet John T., couple guys from Jersey who are section hiking, and Paint Your Wagon who was carrying ALL his gear for the entire hike! I'm curious to find him at hear just how much he sent on ahead!

Made it to Hauser Creek (15 miles) around 6:30. Stopped for a sock change, throw some tape on the balls of my feet, and a quick snack before the 1,000 ft climb out of the canyon and the final 5 miles back to camp.

Around 7:30 stopped to finish off the third liter of nuunerade (tm M. deVreize), threw on the head lamps and beelined it for camp, shower, food, and tent.

Barreled into camp around 9ish. Checked in with the folks the heading for the camp showers and hot water. Did I mention it was cold out? I reluctantly left the hot water as the promise of hot food was waiting for me. Gluten free spaghetti (my parents are AWEsome) filled me up and I headed off to bed to sleep like the dead.

That was Day 1!

More to come :-)

2 comments:

  1. thank you for tiger blog. Get to live through your words the hike of many steps. Power be with you, may will come easy...love steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOunds like an exciting yet, exhausting day!! Lol @ sleep like the dead. I could imagine!! Keep up the great work, and post more, more, more!!
    - Kendra

    ReplyDelete