Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jacob

My cousin Jacob has Type 1 Diabetes so I asked him a bunch of questions about his diagnosis and living with T1D.
Me: Who has gone above and beyond to help you that you want to give a public 'Thank you' to?
Jacob: His name is Rob Yates. He helped me when I was down. His wife had diabetes also before she passed and he shared how God helped her. He helped me answer questions like “Why me God?”
Me: What is the one question you get the most when you tell folks you have Type 1?
Jacob: What is the difference between type 2 and 1?
Me: What question just makes you want to smack someone?
Jacob: What are you not allowed to eat?
Me: How have you handled the diagnosis and all the comes with it? From the first shot to today?
Jacob: I take it as it is. I try to manage as best I can and treat every mishap as a learning experience
Me: What do you want people to know about living with Type 1?
Jacob: I can eat anything I want too, I just have to make sure I have the correct insulin coverage for it.
Me: What is the funniest story/joke/etc. you have about Type 1?
Me: What support have you received from JDRF and other organizations?
Jacob: How to manage with sickness etc....basically advice
Me: What one piece of advice would you give to parents of newly diagnosed kids?
Jacob: Depending on the kids' age, do not be over protective and emphatic. Try to not make the them feel different, the disease is just another part of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment