Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Heading out!!

Hey all,

There is so much I've been wanting to post and just haven't had the time so I'll write a bit here and add some photos later.

First, I wanted to say Thank You and good-bye to all my co-workers at Partners In Care. You all gave me a wonderful send-off and it's still a little weird that it's a weekday and I'm not sitting at my desk chatting with everyone. Take care of each other and we'll all go out for a drink when I get back.

Over the last few days, I've flown down to California, spent time with friends and family, and worked hard to get my pack as light as possible.

As of right now, with a full pack and a weeks worth of food, I'm at 40lbs. I'll be adding between 8.8lbs and 13.2lbs of water while hiking in the desert. So, a max pack weight of 53.2 lbs! Think I'll be doing some trimming while at the kickoff party. :-D

And today the folks and I are packing up and heading down to Lake Morena. I'll be hiking the first 20 miles tomorrow, then spending the next two days getting to meet and hang out with 275 other thru-hikers. A HUGE thank you to the organizers of the ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero PCT Kick Off) for giving us hikers an opportunity to get to meet each other as well as previous year hikers, future hikers, Trail Angles, and vendors who all want to help all this years hikers have a successful journey.

But before I leave, I want to give three cheers to everyone who has supported me and the JDRF. Whether via donations, encouragement, support, or all three, this hike would not be possible without all of you.

And so, I dedicate the first 20 miles to all of you. Each step will be supported by your thoughts, prayers, and overall amazingness.  Your words of encouragement will be the "wind at my back". Your caring will keep me calm and focused.

Thank you all and happy hiking!

3 comments:

  1. Kellie!! I wish you the best... I'll be checking your blog often for updates, i know you will be ok, but ill be thinking and praying for you anyways!!

    Happy hiking!! Cheers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Hiking Kell! Just keep hiking, just keep hiking!

    You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie, this is Ilona. So happy that you are out there for all of us! I am cheering here for you, from my new office at WTA!

    ReplyDelete