Friday, June 1, 2012

How Trail Angels are made...

I had always wondered how trail angels became trail angels. Now I know.

Jim and Jane live a mere 15 minutes from the trail in Acton. As the great aunt and uncle to my wonderful roommate, they graciously offered to host me for a night or two when I came through the area. I was prepared for a place to sleep and a shower. Being part of the Awesome Klosterman family, I should have known better.

3 1/2 days. 10 delicious meals. 1 cozy bed. 2 soaks in the hot tub. 3 showers. 1 very successful fundraiser. And that was just for me.

J & J ended up hosting 7 hikers in all. Virgo, Ninja, Challenger, Beaver Cheeks, Sesame, Lava Goat, and me. And we all got the royal treatment.

Virgo is making a documentary on trail angels and knows their son who got him an invite to their house. Ninja got into puddle dog bush (same effect as poison oak) and got his clothes and himself decontaminated at their house. Challenger was in the right place at the right time and not only got a place to stay, but a ride to urgent care to take care of a foot issue and a place to heal for a few days. Beaver Cheeks & Sesame were picked up from a restaurant and treated to a bbq that night and omelets before hitting the trail the next day. And Lava Goat got a bed, shower, dinner (w/home grown artichokes), soak in the hot tub, and a delicious breakfast before dragging Challenger and me back onto the trail.

And the awesomeness didn't stop with J & J...their friends were gracious and generous with their donations to the JDRF. It was a joy to share the trail with a whole group of people and hear their stories of living in the area.

Being part of the first group to introduce J & J to trail angeling is something special. It wasn't my intent going in, but after spending time basking in their welcoming home, I can't imagine these two NOT becoming trail angels. Even if just for a week or two of the year.

So...thank you Jim and Jane for welcoming me and all the others into your home. For making us feel like part of your family. For filling our stomachs and replenishing our souls. I hope someday to give back to you what you gave to all of us.

Photos...
Sesame, Beaver Cheeks, Challenger, Sunshine, and me.
Jim, Jane, and Sunshine
Some of the folks who came to the fundraiser.





1 comment:

  1. Kellie, would you consider sending me a story and/or a photo from your hike that I might post on www.pcttrailsidereader.com . . . it is our effort to create a place for the wealth of stories that are out there (such as your recent trail angel experience). You can send me images and stories at either hughes@humboldt,edu or pcttrailsidereader@gmail.com

    Rees Hughes

    ReplyDelete