Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lingo

As I research this hike, I find myself coming across, and now using, terms that I wouldn't know unless I was researching this hike.

  • PCT - Pacific Crest Trail
  • Trail names - a name traditionally bestowed upon you by another hiker while on the trail. Some names include: Billy Goat; The Gingerbread Man, and Wired.
  • No Flips, No Skips - This means hiking the trail from beginning to end without skipping to another section and then coming back later to finish the section you skipped.
  • Jardine-ites - Fans of Ray Jardine who wrote "The Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Handbook" that challenged some long-held beliefs about long distance hiking. The main focus is on reducing pack weight to the bare-minimum.
  • Thru-hiking - is the term used for hiking a long-distance trail from end to end.
  • Slack-packing - Stashing your heavy pack and only carrying the basic necessities to cover any milage that was missed or skipped. Most folks don't slack-pack for more than a day.
  • Trail Angels - Folks living near the PCT who help out hikers by giving them rides to town, letting them stay at their home (showers!), bring snacks and other goodies to the trail, and stocking water caches for thirsty hikers. These Angels are the heart of the PCT community.
  • Trail Magic - That cosmic energy that brings goodness to hikers, be it an unexpected water source when you're almost out, a cooler of goodies left for PCT hikers, or a ride into a town when you expected to hike it. All those little moments of unexpected wonderfulness :-D
I'll add more as I go. If you know of any that I've missed, let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment