Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Planning for the really, really, really long hike

The Pacific Crest Trail is all about firsts for me. My first long hike. My first multi-day camping. My first blog.

So far, the hardest thing about this hike is planning for it. It's a little overwhelming at times. I've spent hours reading about tents...the square footage, the height, the weight. Does it have a fly? Do you need a footprint? Can you sit up inside it? How does it handle condensation? How fast can it be set up or taken down? And on and on and on. And this is just one piece of gear!

And don't get me started on food! Most everyone in my life knows my love of not cooking. Now I get to pre-plan 180 days of meals that can be cooked on a teeny tiny camp stove. The upside is that I've already got one-pot cooking down to a science. :-D

Then there is the logistics of the hike. Like figuring out how long will it take me to get to the next re-supply point and time it so I don't arrive before my supply package does. And how often to mail a supply package. What gear am I going to need on which part of the hike. Since the PCT goes through six out of seven of North America's ecozones including high and low desert, old-growth forest and artic-alpine country, I have to be prepared for anything!

Thankfully, there are some great resources specifically for PCT hikers and I'm surrounded by amazing people who are already providing support and help! So while I may be hiking by myself, I won't be alone.

To all those who's first words after I told you what I'm going to do was "How can I help?", thank you. Thank you SO very much!

1 comment:

  1. kellie! good stuff. my name is kristo and i am hiking the pct in 2012 as well. you can follow me as well if you would like @ kristoHIKES.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete